Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day Six

Ok the name of the game is speed blogging.
    So Day Six was our first day of clinic where we were going to go into the Aeta villages and provide medical care. We weren't sure what we were going to see when we got there - for all we knew - they may have all been naked (they weren't.... but we didn't know!) We were told that our first day - we would have no shade and it would be HOT. This had us worried after the little fainting spell that occurred on Day Five at the hospital - so we prepared with water, GATORADE, and sunscreen.
    We were very pleased at what we saw as we pulled up - and had to hike 100 meters (in Filipino distance... we were afraid it was a mile... but it turned out to be 100 meters)
SHELTER!
CHAIRS!
It was almost from a movie
I was hard at work :-D
... BTW - my scrubs... and my gatorade matched my eyes :)
    I was at the Triage table for our first day of Aeta clinic. So I got the person's name, age, and main complaints (which were: cough, cold, body pain, and UTI) It was crazy because there were a surprising amount of people who could not tell me their age. It also seemed like the mothers were guessing on their children's ages... like they mom would say "9 years old" - for someone that I would say 4... maybe 5 years old. I doubt that birth certificates exist with the Aetas.... it really did seem like another world. 


Cute little guy!
Passing out bags of rice to families

All the children getting lined to up receive lunch
Handing out lunch to all the kids

Cute little pup who was trying to cool off

Dr. Emmanuel seeing a patient
   We spent the morning doing clinic - we finished around noon and when we headed back to the Children's Home - we spent the afternoon cooling off, swimming, getting in our daily nap and playing with the kids (photos to come). We all had the opportunity to assist Dr. Emmanuel in a circumcision. It is tradition that all boys between 9 and 12 get circumcised so we were able to help the Dr. It was very different than procedures that you would see here... and the finished product was not what I expected. As Nate put it so gently... they went from a turtle neck to a V-neck. Thanks Nate. But that does give a very appropriate picture. Sadly... I had to leave before the end of my procedure... b/c I started to get a little faint. I didn't want to pass out and ruin the "sterile field"... since I was his assistant - so I told him I had better go - and yes, my face was white. It didn't help that the exam room was SUPER HOT!!!!!!!! He was basically done so it wasn't that big of a deal. The boy (who was 12) was content with his sucker (and yes - he was given lidocaine - they aren't animals!) and 3 other younger boys were watching through the glass door - not very much privacy.... oh well...
Day Six - Complete
Far right - Pastor Wilson - creator of "To God be the Glory" Ministries
Orange Shirt - Pastor _______ (it's a secret) - who was awesome and was a big help to us throughout the trip


No comments:

Post a Comment